How to Use the Metronome
To start and stop the metronome:
- Click on the metronome itself.
- Press the 'S' (Start/Stop) key.
- Press the Spacebar.
To set a tempo:
- Click on one of the preset tempo numbers.
- Click on the slider control alongside the preset numbers.
- Type a number into the spin control, then press the Enter key.
- Click the arrows on the spin control.
- Use the Page Up and Page Down keys.
- Use the Up Arrow and Down Arrow keys.
- Tap the tempo by clicking on the shoe.
- Tap the tempo by pressing the 'T' (Tap) key.
I find that sometimes mouse-clicks are not delivered to the metronome fast
enough for accuracy when clicking on the shoe. You may get a more accurate
response by using the keyboard shortcuts as described above.
The sound you hear was recorded from the metronome you see in the picture.
From Largo to Prestissimo
The meanings of these terms are not absolutely precise but here is a rough guide.
| Largo or Lento ||40 - 60|
| Larghetto ||60 - 66|
| Adagio ||66 - 76|
| Adagietto ||72 - 80|
| Andante ||76 - 108|
| Moderato ||108 - 120|
| Allegro Moderato or Allegretto ||112 - 124|
| Allegro or Vivace ||120 - 168|
| Presto ||168 - 200|
| Prestissimo ||200 and above.|
The metronome is a Java applet so if it isn't working properly, or isn't displayed at all,
then this is most likely to be a problem with running Java in your browser.
First, try simply refreshing this page. If that doesn't work then
try closing all browser windows, then relaunch your browser and visit this page again.
If that doesn't fix it then
click here for more information and instructions.
Downloading and Running Locally
We do allow you to download the Seventh String Metronome in order to run it locally on
your computer without being connected to the internet. You may also freely distribute
the downloaded zip file - see "License Terms and Conditions" below.
Click here to download it as a zip file.
Unzipping the file will get you a folder containing metronome.html (the page which displays the applet - this page in fact), ssm130810120906.jar (the applet itself) and a metronome icon. Double-click metronome.html to open it in your browser and run the metronome. You can bookmark this page in your browser for quick access subsequently - it doesn't make any difference that the page is stored locally on your hard disk rather than on the internet.
If you encounter any problem then click here for more information and more detailed instructions.
License Terms and Conditions
The Seventh String Metronome is Copyright © 2007-2011 Seventh String Limited. All rights reserved.
We provide it on the Seventh String website for free use by anyone, subject to the following conditions:
- You may use it as provided on our website and you may download it for local use as described above,
but you may not host either the Java applet or the html page which contains it on any other server.
You are welcome to link to it from your site : you must link to
- You may not display the Seventh String Metronome within a containing page, for instance by using an html frame
or iframe or any other framing technique. If you do link to it then you must do so in
such a way that it displays in its own browser window or tab, with the usual scrollbars so the user
can access the whole page.
- You may freely distribute the downloaded zip file, as long as you distribute it exactly as downloaded, without modification.
- You may not modify, decompile, reverse engineer, disassemble, or create derivative works of the
Seventh String Metronome or any part of it.
- While we make all reasonable efforts to ensure that the Seventh String Metronome is bug-free
and performs as it should, we cannot guarantee that it will always perform as expected or
accept any liability for any aspect of its use.
- We do not promise to provide support but in fact you will probably get a helpful reply
if you email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please read the "Problems?" section above, first.
- This License will be governed by the laws of the United Kingdom. If for any reason any part
of this agreement is unenforceable, the remainder shall continue in full force and effect.
Related Software From Seventh String
Seventh String Software also provide Transcribe!, the world's leading software for helping musicians to figure out music from recordings.
Recommend this page to others, on these social bookmarking sites:
Seventh String Home
Build date : Sat Aug 10 12:09:06 BST 2013