Download Transcribe! for Mac
- Select the appropriate version of Transcribe! for your Mac OS version. It will download the file transcribe.dmg to your Downloads folder.
- Double-click the dmg file. It will open a window showing the Transcribe! application with an arrow pointing to the Applications folder.
- Drag the Transcribe! application from the dmg file to the Applications folder. This creates a copy of the application.
Note: a very small number of people find that this creates a link (an "alias") rather than a copy. You can tell because the icon for an alias has a little arrow on it. If this happens to you then delete the alias and drag again, this time holding down the alt (option) key. This tells the Mac to make a copy.
- Launch Transcribe! by double-clicking it in the Applications folder, or you can drag it from the Applications folder to the Dock which will create a link (not a copy) in the Dock.
- Once you have done this, you don't need to keep the downloaded dmg file any more, though you can if you want to, for backup purposes.
dragging an application to the dock does not create a copy of it, it just creates a link. If you drag the application from the dmg to
the dock and then trash the downloaded dmg file, then Transcribe! will disappear from the dock the next time the trash is emptied.
If you are updating from an earlier version of Transcribe! then you can delete
the old version by dragging it from the Applications folder to the trash.
If you try to run Transcribe! from within the dmg then it will produce a warning message describing the problem. The best thing to do is to delete all copies of the dmg file and empty the trash. If the left column in Finder is showing "transcribe" then that is the dmg and you should eject it by clicking the little eject triangle alongside the name, before deleting it.
Mac OS 10.10 (Yosemite), 10.11 (El Capitan), 10.12 (Sierra), 10.13 (High Sierra), and 10.14 (Mojave).
Also tested on the latest beta version of 10.15 (Catalina).
Click here to download Transcribe! version 8.74 for Mac OS 10.10 - 10.14
With this version of Transcribe! you may also want to download GStreamer,
mainly if you want to handle video.
Note that if you have already installed GStreamer then you don't need to install it again when you update Transcribe!
Click here for information about GStreamer.
Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard), 10.7 (Lion), 10.8 (Mountain Lion), and 10.9 (Mavericks)
Click here to download Transcribe! version 8.41 for Mac OS 10.6 - 10.9